By Bo Tefu, California Black Media 

New Initiative Would End California Open “Top Two” Primary System

A proposed California ballot initiative would eliminate the state’s open primary election system and restore partisan primaries for congressional and statewide offices, reopening a long-running debate over voter choice and political representation.

The measure, titled “Undo the Top Two,” was submitted to state officials by political consultant Steve Maviglio, who is requesting a circulating title and summary for the proposal. If approved by voters, the initiative would reverse election reforms adopted in 2010 that created California’s current “top two” primary structure.

Under the existing system, all voters can choose any candidate in a primary election regardless of party affiliation. The two candidates receiving the highest number of votes advance to the general election, even if both belong to the same political party.

Supporters of the initiative argue the system has failed to achieve its original goals. In the proposal’s findings section, backers said Californians were promised the open primary would reduce political division, limit the influence of special interests and encourage cooperation among elected officials.

“The experiment failed,” the initiative states, arguing that political polarization has worsened in both Sacramento and Washington, D.C., while special interests continue to wield strong influence over elections and policymaking. 

The proposal also argues that the current system limits voter choice by sometimes producing general elections featuring two candidates from the same political party. Supporters say that outcome can leave some voters without a candidate who reflects their political beliefs.

If enacted, the initiative would amend the California Constitution to remove language establishing the “top two” system. Political parties would once again be allowed to advance their highest-performing candidates from party primaries into the general election.

The effort comes as California prepares for another crowded statewide election cycle, including a highly competitive governor’s race that has drawn dozens of candidates. Concerns that two Republicans could advance to the general election have renewed criticism of the current primary structure in the heavily Democratic state.

Critics of repealing the system have argued the open primary encourages broader participation and produces more moderate candidates by allowing independents and crossover voters to participate in primary contests.

Maviglio previously served as communications director for former Gov. Gray Davis and managed the mayoral campaign of former Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson. The proposal must gather enough valid signatures before qualifying for a future statewide ballot.

What California Authorities Are Saying About the Hantavirus 

California health officials say the public faces an extremely low risk from a recent Andes hantavirus outbreak linked to an international cruise ship, even as state and federal agencies continue monitoring exposed passengers.

The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) announced that California residents were aboard the MV Hondius cruise ship, where an outbreak of Andes hantavirus was identified. One passenger has returned to California and is being monitored by local public health officials, while another remained aboard the ship as of the agency’s May 8 update.

State officials said they are coordinating closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), local health departments and international public health agencies as the situation develops.

“We understand that news of an unusual outbreak can be concerning,” said Dr. Erica Pan, California’s state public health officer and director of the California Department of Public Health. “At this time, local, state, national and global public health partners are working together to assess and care for people who may have been exposed and prevent spread of the virus.”

Authorities emphasized that Andes hantavirus differs from more contagious respiratory illnesses such as COVID-19 and influenza. 

According to CDPH, years of public health experience in South America have shown the virus rarely spreads between people and usually requires prolonged close contact with an infected individual.

Health officials said exposed passengers are undergoing daily symptom monitoring, including temperature checks and health assessments. As of May 8, officials reported there were no known ill passengers aboard the ship.

Hantaviruses are spread through contact with infected rodent saliva, urine or droppings and can lead to hantavirus pulmonary syndrome, a rare but severe respiratory illness. Symptoms often begin with fever, headache, muscle aches and gastrointestinal problems before potentially progressing to life-threatening breathing complications.

According to CDPH, hantavirus pulmonary syndrome carries a fatality rate of roughly 30% to 40%, and there is currently no antiviral treatment. Medical experts say early supportive care is critical for survival.

California officials also said the state is supporting the national response through expanded laboratory testing. CDPH’s Viral and Rickettsial Disease Laboratory operates the nation’s only validated public health PCR test capable of detecting multiple hantavirus strains, including the Andes virus connected to the cruise outbreak.

Authorities said they will continue monitoring the situation. 

California State Library Releases Housing Construction Tracker 

The California State Library has released an updated interactive Housing Construction Tracker designed to give policymakers a clearer picture of where new housing is being built across the state and how development patterns have changed over time.

The tool, developed by the California Research Bureau (CRB), compiles parcel-level data to map residential construction across legislative districts from 2001 through 2024. Officials say the updated version expands the state’s ability to analyze housing trends that have long been difficult to track in a consistent, statewide format.

Housing affordability remains one of California’s most persistent policy challenges, with lawmakers introducing more than 1,000 housing-related bills since 2019, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures’ Housing and Homelessness Legislation Database. Despite repeated legislative efforts, construction has continued to lag behind demand in many parts of the state.

The CRB notes that economic research consistently shows increased housing supply helps reduce costs at a regional level. However, California’s housing production has not kept pace with states such as Texas and Florida, which have continued to add more housing units in recent years.

According to the updated tracker, California saw stronger housing growth in the early 2000s before construction sharply declined during the Great Recession. While production gradually recovered in the following decade, it has largely flattened since around 2018.

The data also highlights clear geographic disparities in where housing is being built. Inland regions, including parts of the Inland Empire, Central Valley, and Sacramento suburbs, account for a large share of new development. Coastal areas such as Los Angeles and the Bay Area continue to show comparatively lower levels of construction.

The tracker further shows that even during periods of growth, housing production has been uneven across legislative districts, with some areas consistently building far more units than others. Researchers say these differences reflect long-standing economic, geographic and regulatory factors that influence development decisions across the state.

The updated database includes nearly 2 million recently built parcels, representing more than 2.3 million housing units and millions of bedrooms statewide. It also allows users to break down construction trends by district and other geographic categories, offering a more detailed view of how California’s housing landscape has evolved over the past two decades.

State Library officials say the goal of the tool is to support evidence-based policymaking by giving lawmakers and researchers better access to data as they continue working to address California’s housing shortage and affordability crisis.

Gov Newsom Deploys $760 Million to Tackle and Prevent Homelessness in 11 Regions 

California is deploying $760 million in homelessness funding to local governments and regional agencies across the state, with Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration saying the investment is aimed at expanding shelter, housing, and prevention services in all eligible regions.

The funding is being distributed through the state’s Homeless Housing, Assistance and Prevention (HHAP) program, which supports coordinated regional responses to homelessness. Officials said 11 regions are receiving new allocations under the latest round, which continues a statewide effort to reduce unsheltered homelessness and expand long-term housing solutions.

According to the California Department of Housing and Community Development, the latest awards build on previous HHAP funding rounds that have collectively supported local strategies to move people off the streets and into housing. State officials said every eligible region has now received support under HHAP Round 6.

“We’re pairing historic investments with real accountability and demanding results at every level of government,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said in announcing the funding. “No one in California should be without a place to call home.”

The administration said more than 100,000 Californians have transitioned from homelessness into permanent housing through HHAP-supported programs and related initiatives in recent years. Officials also reported a 9% decline in unsheltered homelessness statewide, which they described as the first notable drop in more than a decade. 

HHAP is a multi-year grant program that provides funding to California counties, large cities, and Continuums of Care. The program supports a range of interventions, including emergency shelters, street outreach, rapid rehousing, rental assistance, and permanent supportive housing.

Officials said most participating regions are dedicating roughly 90% of their HHAP funds to permanent and interim housing solutions, reflecting a state push to prioritize long-term exits from homelessness over short-term interventions.

“The state continues to invest in local regions and partner with local governments to scale proven solutions that prevent and end homelessness,” said Tomiquia Moss. She said the grants are helping expand access to housing and supportive services while strengthening local systems aimed at reducing homelessness.

The latest funding round includes a combined $760 million in HHAP allocations, part of nearly $5 billion in total program investments since its expansion.

 State officials said recipients will be required to demonstrate measurable progress in reducing homelessness, with performance tracked through standardized state metrics. Funds must be fully spent by June 2029.

The announcement comes as California prepares for a seventh round of HHAP funding, which is expected to total $500 million and expand accountability requirements tied to housing outcomes and local policy implementation.

Officials said the combined investments reflect a broader statewide strategy focused on increasing housing supply, strengthening behavioral health services, and accelerating efforts to move people out of encampments and into stable housing.